Canaan Historical Society

The Meeting House
Canaan, New York  12029

The Meeting House was built in 1829 by the Presbyterian Society.  It is located two miles south of NY Route 295 in the North East quadrant of Columbia County (near the Massachusetts border), just off County 5, on Warner's Crossing Road at Canaan Center.  It is open to the public every Saturday from 1:00 - 4:00 during July and August.  No admission charge.

The Canaan Historical Society is chartered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York.

DID YOU KNOW? The town of Canaan is two hundred and forty years old.
Originally it encompassed 6 square miles, and the land was purchased from the Stockbndge Indians in 1758 for 250 pounds.
The original settlers, the majority of whom came from Canaan, Connecticut, named their new township New Canaan Among them was Gamaliel Whiting of Norwich, Connecticut and his brother William. Several of their ancestors were passengers on the Mayflower, and their mother was Elizabeth Bradford, great-granddaughter of Govener Bradford of Plymouth, and also of Elizabeth Alden, daughter of John and Priscilla. Among other names of the original founders of the town of Canaan, familiar to us now as the names of local ponds, streets and houses, are; Solomon Bebee; Ass Douglas; Aaron Kellogg and Elihu Curtis, whose son, Samuel, was the first white male child born in town (no mention of a female proceeding him exists). Others include William Aylesworth, Zebulon Robbins, Jonathan Ford, Simeon Duty, John Wadsworth and Gideon Frisbie whose family settled one of the oldest sections, known as New Canaan and also as Canaan Post Office. Eleazer Cady came to this neighborhood about 1760 and his granddaughter was Elizabeth Cady Stanton of women's' suffragette fame. William Warner settled in Canaan Center, where he opened an inn next to the site of the present Canaan Historical Society at the intersection of County Route 5 and Tunnel Hill Road


DID YOU KNOW? The Canaan Historical Society is conducting an archeological dig at the site of the William Warner tavern. Anyone interested in participating is welcome to come and help on Saturday mornings, beginning at 9:30 am. In 1764, William B. Warner and his wife Rebecca Lupton Warner, moved to Canaan Center from Connecticut with their twelve children. They first built a small house, near the site of the future Presbyterian Church, which now houses the Historical Society, and soon after, a tavern and inn. It was here, on June 24th, 1776, that the voters of the King's District assembled to elect delegates to the Continental Congress At this meeting they also adopted, unanimously, the historic resolution directing their delegates to vote for the independence of the thirteen American Colonies from Great Britain. Sadly, the Warner Tavern was burned to the ground in a fire in 1906. It is this historic site that our professional archeologist and volunteers are attempting to uncover. Please join us.
 

Historical Page Home

[Richmond] [Greenbush] [Canaan] [Poestenkill] [Esquatak Historical] [Stephentown] [Sand Lake]

kdanneil@capital.net
Copyright October 1999
November 2000
Karl Danneil 
Home